Monday, August 16, 2010

The dread and the success

Allie got her turn at learning to ride a bike without training wheels this weekend.  We "accidentally" lost hers when they were removed a few weeks ago.  She was hesitant and sure that she wouldn't be able to do it.  After teaching Lilly (one of the single most frustrating times as a Mom, then awesome) I had a sense of dread hanging over me.  I decided to have her just do the practicing balancing with her feet hovering just an inch or so off the ground while going down a slight incline for a while until she felt comfortable.  This took all of six minutes.  She was ready.  We took two turns around the playground, me running, holding her shirt, her wobbling like a drunk madman, and insisting she couldn't do it.  I told her that she could and that I didn't want to hear I can't again.  She said she was scared but ready to try.  Just like that I gave her a push and she started pedaling.  I rested my hand on her back and she was doing it!  We did a few more straight lines with my hand on her back but not helping at all. Then we took off one more time and I ran beside her, sort of behind.  She said, "I can do it I'm RIDING MY BIKE WITH NO TRAINING WHEEEEELS!!!!"  And that was that.  She can ride.  She kept at it all morning and now can take off without help.  What a relief! She is so proud, and I am, too.  She did an amazing job and told me, "Mama, I didn't give up and now I can do it and I am so proud!"  My favorite bike riding day yet. 

3 comments:

Beth said...

Yay Allie! Even Maya might be riding a bike without training wheels before the summer ends! LOL. You actually make me look forward to my kids riding bikes. :-)

Julie said...

Its so funny how two kids from the same gene pool can be so different. Good job Allie!!

Joanna said...

Yay!

Two down, one to go. My guess is Maya will either really struggle with it, or one day she'll hop on one of her sister's bikes and go.