Thursday, December 8, 2011

Days like this

It's so funny. As parents, we model model model in order to show our children the behavior we desire.  I try so hard to live the life I want my kids to live when they are grown and I am gone.  There has been a lot in the news about bullying lately, and I worry about how this will impact my kids.  I know there will always be mean people, people who just don't care, and people who think they are better than the rest of us.  They are this way because no one ever taught them differently.  In My girl's school, there is a huge anti-bulliyng campaign.  We talk about it often.  They have a program where the teachers catch kids who are being good, and reward them with a ticket.  These tickets are then signed by the kids and put into a drawing for extra game time in the gym at the end of the week(this is a highly coveted activity).  It's an incentive to be extra nice and to do the right thing.  I think the thinking is that eventually the kids will just do the right thing without thinking about it because they have become so accustomed to it.  I like this program because it focuses on the good.  There are many other parts of the program that focus on the bullying part, but for this you need only know that part.  I talk to the girls a lot about how standing by and watching while someone is mistreated is as bad as being the one who is bullying.  I know it's hard to be the one to speak out, but it is so so so important to be the one.
Lilly came home yesterday and told me about her day.  "Mommy, I got a ticket today for helping someone who was having trouble with his reading." so I tell her that I am so glad that she is being a good helper, but that wasn't the end of her story.  "L, this boy in my class has trouble. He has a disability.  He can't focus and can't sit still, and sometimes in music class he sings when we aren't supposed to and gets up and dances around.  He's always getting into trouble.  He never gets a ticket, so I put his name on my ticket so he would have a chance. "  My heart about burst right out of my chest at that point.  I told her how proud I was of her and what an amazing thing she did.  I am so glad that I am getting through to them and that they are doing it, they are being the people who make a difference.  This is an amazing feeling, I am so proud. I have amazing kids.

10 comments:

Janna said...

This post should come with a warning - I'm crying now! What a beautiful little girl you are raising!

Beth said...

Awww. Tell her all your friends are proud of her too!

LauraC said...

My heart is overfilling from joy! Love her.

Lindsay said...

That is so awesome!! Yea!

Stacey said...

That is so amazing. I'm not entirely surprised though because you are an amazing mom. Wow!!

Karen said...

What a thoughtful girl! You are setting a great example :)

scooping it up said...

thanks for your comment on my last post, and this made me cry. talk about a proud mama moment. you both get big happy kharma!

Unknown said...

Hi. I came across your blog by hitting the "next blog" button. Little did I know that I would have tears streaming down my face! This is the sweetest thing ever! I have a son with "disabilities" and I know how HARD it is for him. He is in all the regular classes and even in gifted, but his "problems" sounds similiar to the boy in your daughter's class. He is always in trouble and rarely rewarded at school.
Your daughter is amazing for what she did. I am so glad I came across your blog and will always remember your beautiful words!
Keli

Karla said...

That is amazing. Clearly you are a fabulous mother.

It is about News said...

Thank you i love blogger.by Andy and FSN