Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Learning


I'm not sure how to even start this other than saying that we are learning so much.  So so so much.  We are currently a family of seven.  Seven. Foster care is an incredibly unique place to be.  For the children. for the parents, for the families all around.  You instantly have this new personality in the mix who you had nothing to do with raising, teaching, guiding, loving.  And then BAM. It's all you.  I am going to be brutally honest here.  It has not been fun.  It has been harder than hard.  I never thought I would dread getting up in the morning for so many mornings in a row.  I never dreamed that a two year old could make me feel this way. Not to mention I cannot even begin to fathom how hard it has been for him to have everything, everything he has ever known gone in a matter of minutes. So we have been at it for nearly seven weeks, and now things are changing.  We are all learning.  We have been intensely therapeutic.  Intentional in every single action and expression.  Unwavering in showing love, even if we were faking it.  And in the beginning, oh, we were faking it.  It is hard to have loving feelings for a child who does nothing but scream and spit.  It is hard to show love to a child who just cries and whines and throws things for hours on end.  Who grunts instead of using words.  Who dumps full bowl of cereal on the floor because it isn't the thing he wants for breakfast.  Who hits and bites and headbutts the children who already live here and makes them feel unhappy. Oh, it is hard.  But after a few weeks of non stop work, modeling every second, showing much kindness, and making expectations crystal clear, things started to change.  More smiles, less screaming.  More acceptance of hugs and cuddles, less things thrown across the room.  More following direction, less trying to get a reaction for things that he knows are unacceptable.  Less testing, more playing.  And something else has changed.  My girls have all gone from frustrated, shocked girls and have made this incredible leap to involved, caring, tiny little therapists.  It is the most awe inspiring thing I have ever seen.  They have gone from telling me they just want to make him go to bed, to showing him the way to act. Modeling for him. They still get frustrated, we all do, but I keep hearing them say over and over again, "he is like this because no one taught him how he is supposed to be." and "We have to teach him that he is safe" and even, "I'll be sad when he leaves".  I watched Lilly this morning peel a Clementine and feed him each section one at a time, and with each piece she would say, "orange, please" and wait for him to say the words before popping the segment into his mouth, and telling him good job using his words.  She is amazing.  My children have surprised me.  We have all gone from thinking this was super crazy hard and questioning whether or not to do this again, to looking forward to seeing who comes along next.  We are all working hard together to fill in all the holes this guy brought with him and to fill him up with enough love, language and skill to help him along when he goes.  We don't dread the day starting over anymore, and we marvel at the amazing progress he has made.  And it is quite remarkable how far he has come in seven short weeks.  It's kind of remarkable how much we have all changed too. This is hard, incredibly so, and at times completely draining and unrewarding, but oh when the changes come, they make all the hard times seem not so bad, all the frustration becomes a little less.  I've gone from questioning this path, to realizing that it is exactly the one I want to be on.  And the whole family is right there with me, which may be the best part of all.  

6 comments:

Lindsay said...

I can't even imagine. I hope your kids will value the experience. Sounds like they do already!

Joanna said...

Noble work? Yes. With out a doubt. Not only for what you have done for this little boy, but for how much your family has learned and gained from this. Clearly, you have not chosen the easy path, but it does seem to be the right path.

Liz Jimenez said...

Wow, wow, wow.

Beth said...

Wow. I can't even articulate how amazing this post is. It is beautifully written. And it captures a truly beautiful, amazing family. I am just in awe. Hugs to every single one of you!

LauraC said...

You are one freaking amazing lady. So proud to call you my friend, ESPECIALLY if you win the lottery.

Tanika Davis said...

I wish I could put into words how much I admire you and your family and how much I love this post! The fact that you are loving a child who NEEDS it so desperately, and doing it even though it is incredibly difficult for everyone involved -- that, right there, is God's work. You're amazing. And that little boy is blessed beyond measure.