Monday, January 31, 2011

Passing it down

I taught myself how to sew, or maybe I actually learned in home ec in middle school.  Regardless, I love doing it and love to have new babies to make quilts for. I have always quilted by hand.  Sewing machines were endlessly frustrating for me, so I painstakingly did every stitch by hand.  I loved doing it that way.  This fall I borrowed my Mom's sewing machine and set out to learn to use it.  Wow, what a difference.  Easy peasy.  I really love doing quilts now! 

Lilly has been asking to learn to sew for a while now, so I figured yesterday would be a good time to teach her.  We made a tiny pillow for her doll, by hand.  It took about thirty minutes.  Then I took her into my sewing room and taught her to make one on the machine.  Less than ten minutes.  She was very proud.  She actually likes sewing by hand better as she said she feels a little out of control woth the machine.  I completely understand.  I made her her own little sewing box and she is happily working on a new pillow all on her own.  She is asking if we can make a quilt together.  I would be thirlled to do that with my daughter.  I can't wait to start.


4 comments:

Joanna said...

I still remember my mom teaching me to sew (Ha, I almost typed snow)it's a skill that has served me well, and something I am so grateful to my mom for sharing with me.

LauraC said...

My mom also taught me to sew! I used to make my own clothes in high school. I'll probably teach the boys to do the basics when they are old enough.

Beth said...

Um, I think my mom taught me, too, but I, uh, forgot. I'm pretty good with safety pins and scotch tape, though! Any chance you could teach me to sew a cute little pillow? My mom used to sew clothes for my Barbies. She made an awesome pilot suit for Ken. And a great purple polka-dot bikini for Barbie. Sewing rocks!

Karen said...

My grandmother sewed all kinds of clothes for my mom and her siblings. She taught me some stuff when I was younger but I forgot it. Definitely a great skill to pass on!