Monday, February 14, 2011

Valentine's Day

I have never been a huge fan of this holiday.  Will and I rarely do anything to celebrate it.  I think that every day should be the day to tell and show people you love them.  Why should one day be special?
That said, I do do a little something for the girls.  I only do things that I probably would have anyway, but it was nice to have an extra reason to stay up late sewing paper hearts together to make garland for their room, and paper heart necklaces for them to wear today. I cut their sandwiches into hearts to send in their lunches and left a few small gifts on the ends of their beds, as well as a love letter for each of them, and they were happy.  When I got back to the grocery store, there was a letter in our mailbox, stamp and all, addressed to Mr. and Mrs. Our last name.  It was from Lilly.  They are working on letter writing at school, and she had written us a letter that made me tear up.  Her cursive is gorgeous, but her words are something that I will always remember.
 
"Dear Mom and Dad,
                            I love you because...
you're always there for me when I need you. When I get scared you cuddle meand tell me it's ok.  I love you because you make me laugh. I love you because you tuck me in at night and spray sweet dreams spray over my head to scare away the bad dreams and nightmares.  I love you because you're you.

                         Yours Truly,
                                    Lilly

P.S. Here is the key (picture of a key) to my heart (pic of a heart)



Seriously, I am so very lucky to have this girl in my life.  I share this letter because I want to have it always and here it can be preserved should anything happen to the real one. 

6 comments:

LauraC said...

That is the sweetest thing ever!
Love it. Great way to celebrate V day!

Joanna said...

Lilly is such a sweet and Thoughtful young woman. Not surprising in the least considering the wonderful parents that are raising her.

Karen said...

That letter made me tear up so I can't even imagine how it made you feel. What a wonderful young woman!

Julie said...

Now THAT is what Valentines Day is all about! I am not a fan, never have been, but a love letter from your girl is just awesome.

London said...

Wow, her writing is a million times prettier than mine, you must be so proud!

JenFen said...

I was going to say exactly what Karen said - I teared up reading it, I can only imagine what it was like when you read it.

Sweet, sweet, sweet.