Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Sugar in the Crust?

Allie will not eat the crust of bread. Any bread. She used to, but now she won't. I always said that I would never cut crust off bread, that my kids would eat the crust and like it. Well, I do cut off the crust and no, they don't enjoy the crust. Another one for the book of things I said I'd never do as a parent. I have been baking my own bread lately, as I have been inspired by London, who is always interesting. She posted a super bread recipe which simple and really tasty. As I was taking the steaming bread form the pan, Allie asked if she could have a slice with butter and no crust. So I used my mommy trickery and said, "but Al, I made this bread and I cooked the crust to be extra yummy just for you." She replied with a scrunched up face, "but Mommy I don't like the crust." I look at her and say, "I baked this crust with sugar, just special just for you." She pauses and takes a long look at the bread and takes a bite, a tiny bite and proclaims, "This is so delicious, can you make this for me again?!"
I love that she is four and believes that I would actually put sugar in the bread crust, after all she could taste it.

2 comments:

London said...

I'm glad you and your family have been enjoying the bread, crust and all. And thanks for the fantastic complement that I'm am "always interesting"!

-Bridget said...

Whatever it takes!

Now I'm going to go have to check out London's recipe.