Sunday, October 5, 2008

Pumpkin Festival






We went to a pumpkin festival on Saturday. All the proceeds from the festival went to Camp Sunshine, a camp for sick kids. The goal of the festival was to raise money for the camp while trying to break the world record for most lit jack-o-lanterns at one time. The record (held by Camp Sunshine, achieved in another state) is 30,000 plus a few. The record wasn't broken, it fell about 7,000 short, but what a sight it was. All of the pumpkins pictured above are carved by hand and will be lit at sunset. We brought our friends Brandon and Ryleigh, and my Mom and Dad came along too. There was a band, games, and lots of places for carving. We added 5 pumpkins to the total, and had so much fun. I am hoping there will be another attempt next year, and that we will be there again. It was a wonderful time, and we all slept well afterward.

4 comments:

bb said...

Now that seriously looks like a good time. I am sooo jealous!

Beth said...

That is so cool! That's awesome that the festival was for a great cause. Our local festivals are on farms that are just trying to stay alive. (Also a worthy cause, I guess.) At any rate, as usual, I LOVE the header picture. You need to write a post about your camera and your photography skills. Your pictures are wonderful!

Mountain Mom said...

Wow, how cool is THAT? I love that picture of the girls with the pumpkins. Great shot, as usual. :)

Maria said...

Thanks so much for the photography compliments! I really don't know what I could post about photography...it's just something I really enjoy. I use a Nikon D50 primariy. I don't want this to come out the wrong way, but I am sort of disenchanted with photographers in general lately since photoshop can turn anything into something great. I mean, that's super that everyone can get something amazing, but it sort of takes the magic out of a great shot, you know. I thought I would love a photoshop program and I won't say I would never use it, but so far I have not, and I really think the best part of taking pictures is getting THE shot you've been working for. Thanks again for the kind words.