Monday, December 29, 2008

Irish Grandpa


Irish Grandpa is Will's Dad. He said to me the first time I went to Will's house for dinner, "you are the only girl Willy has ever brought home that did the dishes." I think I earned my place with him that day. I love this man. He spent much of his life giving to others. He was an Iron Worker in his day and they didn't come tougher, or more kind. He worked tirelessly on many projects on the east coast. He helped put up the Newport Bridge, and was the one to put The Independent Man up in Providence. He was not afraid of heights. He worked as a volunteer for Saint Aloysious Home, running programs for the children. He formed a boxing program and a children's circus. He loved walking the high wire. He had one up in his backyard and walked it daily until well past his 76th birthday. He lived about three hours away from us, but we visited each other as often as possible. All the girls have such fondness for Irish Grandpa. He always would play freeze dance with them by humming the Irish Jig. La da deedle e dee de de de deddle e dee da daaaaaa. They would dance and he would sing and laughter would ring out. He brought so much joy to everyone, as well as a healthy dose of joking, made up stories, magic tricks as well as a bit of stubbornness. He always had a joke but didn't always tell it right, and sometimes was the only one who laughed, but he always had one. He always had a hello for anyone who passed. He was a funny, loving, wonderful man. We lost him tonight after a very short battle with Cancer. We had been there all weekend and came home last night. Will went back down tonight and made it just in time to hold his hand and to talk him all the way out. He will be missed by so many of us. I can't really wrap my mind around it quite yet, but I will miss hearing, "hey buddy! how you doin'?" and hearing the smile I knew he had on his face. I am so thankful I got to have such a wonderful man as a part of my family and that the girls got to know him. I miss him already.

6 comments:

bb said...

So sorry for the loss of Irish Grandpa. He sounds like a wonderful man and a terrific role model for your girls - not to mention for you and your husband.

Beth said...

I'm so sorry for your loss. This was a lovely tribute for a wonderful man. Hugs to you!

GS Counselor: said...

Oh, I'm so sorry. It's hard to say goodbye to someone so special and wonderful. I had an Irish Grandpa...they don't get any better. Love and light to you and your family!

Peg said...

My thoughts and prayers are with your family. It's so hard to lose someone who is so special. I know the joy he brought to you all will remain alive always.

Fullerton Family said...

I'm so sorry for your loss. He sounded like a wonderful, fun Grandpa!

Joanna said...

I'm so sorry for your loss. He sounds like a wonderful man. May his wonderful smile live on in the stories you share about him.