Friday, August 28, 2009

My Wife

My wife has no idea I am writing this. She thinks I am taking a nap. I just wanted to write about this tremendous woman. I met her in college as a friend and if I was smart I would have married her then. We were really good friends until a stupid little fight (she doesn't remember). I enlisted in the Army shortly after graduating and after an overseas deployment I made a one phone call to her. She did not answer but saved the message. After that we were inseparable for the rest of my stay at home. I kept pushing back the drive time to leave to spend more time together. We walked around a supermarket holding hands for hours. One market all night. She racked up a 900 dollar phone bill calling me at Ft. Campbell KY. I invited her up months later and soon I asked her to be my wife. Since then she has been the best life mate, partner, friend I could ask for. She is always there. Some people say this but you have to know my wife to get it. She is always there for me. There is no problem she cannot solve. No bad situation that she cannot make good. She has been there for me when my mother passed from Cancer. My beautiful wife would drive 3 hours up and back to take my mother to Chemo. From Maine to RI she would do this. She was there for me when I finally faced my alcoholism and saved me. She saved me from becoming everything I never wanted to be and pushed me into everything I did. When I lost my father I lost part of myself. He, next to my wife and children, was the closest person to me. I adored my father and when I watched him die in my arms my world flew apart. It was because of my wife that I went back from Maine to RI to see him one night after just pulling into our driveway. She said go back we will be fine. Think of him now I will be here. I went back and he died in my arms minutes after walking through the door. She helped me fight back the urge to drink got me to face my demons and confront my grief. She was there for me. She is the most caring, attentive and affectionate mother I have ever seen. She spent one solid month in the hospital with our youngest, sweet Maya and never left her side. Never left her side. She is our rock and foundation. I take my lead from her as a parent and as a person. The children worship her as do most of her friends kids. She always does something with them. She never tires. She is quick to teach them life lessons from every day adventures. They all excel because of her. She is the best role model a child could ask for. If you have not had the privilege of being my wife's friend you are missing out. As much for them as for me she has been a constant source of support and guidance. Always providing advice, comfort and a safe place to leave their children when a night out is needed. She takes no time for herself and still manages to light up every room she walks into. My beautiful Italian Princess. She gave me three beautiful children, two fantastic in-laws and she gave me my life back. I exist because of her and for her. She is my wife and I love her. Just thought you should know.

5 comments:

Beth said...

Wow--I'm speechless! You guys are inspiring. Your love for each other, your devotion to each other and to you kids, shines through in everything you do. I'm privileged to "know" you, even though I don't really know you. Thanks for sharing this, Will. I already knew Maria is an amazing women, but it's so nice to hear it from you!

Joanna said...

Sniff, sniff. Crying at my desk over this one.

Maria, I think you've got a keeper!

Maria said...

Wow. I really had no idea he knew my password, or that he knew how to get on here! He really is a sweet sweet good man, and we have both come so far together. Will, you are a simply amazing man and I love you and thank you with all that I am.

Helyne said...

This is one of the most beautiful tributes I've ever read. And Maria does have a light and a beauty that radiates from the inside out. People are drawn to her, children are drawn to her, for this, and every other reason that makes her special. I have a picture of her in the lake, children all around her (including mine). I made the mental note, "Madonna of the Lake".
So happy that the two of you have the kind of love that makes you bigger, stronger, just MORE than you are in yourself, alone. It is rare, and precious.

-Helyne

Julie said...

Beautiful beautiful post. It really shows the love you have for your wife. It has become clear through Maria's posts that you too are a super cool dad and a wonderful husband as well. You have a terrific family.