Thursday, March 18, 2010

The bug lesson. Again.

Every spring we go through the bug lesson. Someone always freaks out that bugs exist and have the aduacity to actually fly (or land!) in the area where we happen to be. This year it is Maya. She is totally freaked about completely harmless giant flies. It will go on for several weeks until she realizes that they are harmless. I tell her that flies eat poop and garbage and since she is composed of neither of those things, she need not worry. She's not buying it. She will probably start accepting them right about the time the bees and mosquitoes arrive, and then we will have a whole new problem.

3 comments:

Beth said...

LOL. Flies are horrible, yet gonorrhea is cute and adorable. That's some kid you got there! Seth is my rough-and-tumble, no fear kid, and yet I discovered recently that he does not like creepy-crawlies. He visibly recoiled when I showed him a ladybug crawling on my hand. And he would have nothing to do with an earth worm I found in the dirt. Too funny!

Heidi O said...

I second Beth! We have been known to say 'Shoo fly don't bother me' until Maggie giggles. Now cockroaches....

Joanna said...

I have to side with Maya on this one. The only ones that don't freak me out are bees and mosquitoes. That may seem odd, but I KNOW how they are going to hurt me. I'm pretty sure the ones that play innocent like to lick me or crawl up my nose and into my brain.

I've worked very hard not to demonstrate my insane fear of bugs to Michael so he wouldn't pick it up. So what happens? He falls in love with a little girl at school who is afraid of bugs and therefore thinks they are scary. I'm relieved that I can resume my hysterical freakouts any time I see a camel cricket.

I don't agree with Maya on the gonorrhea thing. Oh, that was probably obvious, wasn't it?