Monday, April 26, 2010

On my thirty second birthday

On my thirty second birthday I am grateful. I am happy, truly happy in who I am becoming. I am blessed to have amazing family. I have, hands down, the best parents anyone could ever hope to have. Have we had trying times? Of course. We have had health scares and much time apart over the years, which did more to point out how lucky I am than anything could. My Mother has never not seen me on my birthday. This includes college years when I lived three hours away and when I lived in Tennessee and she surprised me by showing up at my front door. Amazingly supportive and always there to answer all my questions or to just be with me. I don't think she really gets how much I appreciate and look up to her. My Dad is just as outstanding, in completely different ways. He has been my running partner through the training for my first half marathon, and although he has been running much longer (he has completed ten marathons) he stays with me when we run. I value this time so much because it is uninterrupted, quiet time together when we can work out problems, make plans, and sometimes sing to get through it. He is always very analytical, trying to help me work out whatever needs working on, and has become much more patient as the grandchildren have multiplied! I have been very fortunate to have such giving, understanding, supportive parents. Will. I met Will when I was 18 years old, my freshman year in college. I called my best friend the day I met him and told her I had found the Man I was going to marry. She told me in no uncertain terms that she would not be attending the wedding because there was no way I could know he was the right one! As it turns out, I was right and he is. We have been through a lifetime of things in a relatively short period of time, and it hasn't always been pretty, but he is a wonderful husband and father. I have no doubt in my mind that he is the one I was meant to be with. He has been so supportive of my running, and always gets up with the girls on my long run days so I can go early. He gives me time for myself when he knows I need it, and even when I don't, so I can feel like me.
Lilly Allie and Maya. These girls are my heart. I have such a fierce love for them. They are the best girls In the world. They are caring and thoughtful and loud and loving and amazing singers even though the songs they sing may not be so appropriate (lots of Mommy's music influence), they are protective of each other, they take the time to include each other, they torture each other all in good fun, they love to be in the sun, to chase the ice cream truck and can't wait to go swimming again this summer. They are proud of me for my running, and have no idea that I am slow. They ask me all the time if I am going to win my races. They are the sweetest, coolest, most amazing kids out there (and I know I am biased, but it's true!).
I am happy in this life I have been given. I am lucky. I am blessed. I read an article about a Mom who instead of saying "I have to do..." started saying,"I GET to do..." and I have started doing that. I GET to go running, I GET to buy food for my family, I GET to do all the things in my life. I try to remember there are places where Mothers would love to be able to wait in line at the pharmacy (if there was one) for medicine that would heal their children. Who would weep with joy if they had access to the resources that I am lucky enough to have. I try to think of those moms on the days when I feel burdened and it helps me to feel lighter. I will live this thirty third year as a more grateful person, because I am. I am happy and lucky and grateful and blessed.

7 comments:

LauraC said...

Happy birthday Maria!
I am glad to call you my friend. Love this post!

Julie said...

Happy Birthday Maria! You are such an amazing mother and you have a wonderful family. I loved reading about your parents, it is no surprise that you are the offspring of such support and love. Have a wonderful day!

Beth said...

Happy birthday Maria! What an awesome and inspiring post. Love begets love--you are living proof of that. Thank you for the reminder of all the things I "get" to do in my life. It's easy to get bogged down in the "have to's" and miss sight of all the ways I am truly blessed. And one of my blessings, no doubt, is the "friendship" I have gained with you through our blogs. Happy birthday again!

DesiDVM said...

Happy Birthday -- that was a great post. Despite all the complaining we mommy bloggers like to do thanks for reminding me that we're all living pretty blessed lives.

Steph said...

Happy BIrthday!!! What a nice reminder to all of us how blessed we are.

Joanna said...

Happy Birthday! You've grown your life into something wonderful, and now you get to reap the rewards. You may think you are lucky to have your family and friends, but it works the other way too.

Heidi O said...

Happy Birthday! And what a great way to look at life and enjoying the people who helped make you who you are.