Thursday, August 21, 2008

Making Pasta with Great Grandma












My Grandma came to visit two weeks ago. She lives about two hours from us, and does not like to leave home. She likes us to visit her and she will come here occasionally, generally at Christmas and one other time around summerish. She came to the US from Italy with my Grandpa when she was 20 (I think) and started a family. She is an amazing cook, and one of the reasons she came to visit was to teach the girls to make fresh, homemade pasta. Let me just say, I took about 200 pictures of the entire process, and am turning it into a book for the kids and my grandma for Christmas. The recipe (as told by her) is; one egg per two people, and two serving spoons full of flour per egg. We made 8 eggs of pasta that day, more than she said she has ever made at one time. The girls got to use the pasta machine, crack the eggs, and eat the finished product. It was one of those memory days that will stand out forever. Here are a few pictures of the process.

4 comments:

Joanna said...

What a great way for your grandma to share her cooking with your daughters. I think it's wonderful that you are making a book with the pictures. As soon as I saw your post title I imediately thought of making spaetzle with my grandmother.

Kaycee said...

Wow that pasta looks amazing!! How neat that she totally prepares it all herself.

Julie said...

What a beautiful experience for your kids and also for your grandmother. I love the photos and seriously is there anything better than homemade pasta?

GS Counselor: said...

A great on-line book publishing web site is www.cherishyourphotos.com - it's very resonably priced and super easy drag and drop process. I highly recommend it.