Monday, August 4, 2008

My First 10k





I ran my first 10k this weekend. It was amazing, and I see how people could become addicted to racing. I am definitely not racing when I am out there, just running, but still...
It was awesome. People lined the streets for the entire course. Seriously, there was never a section of road that was without cheering, clapping, smiling spectators. I found it amazing that so many people came out to cheer all of the runners on. One of my very best friends waited at the end of her road and I have never seen her so jumpy, clappy, cheery, teary in the whole time I have known her. I found the race to be a super emotional time, which I did not expect. I ran with my Dad the entire race. He let me dictate the pace (which was very slow) and just stayed by my side. It was a beautiful course with peeks at the ocean and beautiful trees and flowers along the way. The end of the course was very hilly, and by that time, I cursed those hills. The last one was particularly difficult for me, but I made it up and over. The finish was through a state park, and at the end of the chute after the finish line I saw my girls, Will, and my Mom. What a nice thing to see after a long, hard run. Thinking of their faces was just what I needed to get through the last little bit of race. The weather was perfect for a race, 65, foggy with a little breeze. I was grateful for no sun that day. It feels wonderful to have accomplished a 6.2 mile race after only having run a few months, and I can't wait for next year to see how much faster I will be then. I am planning for it already.

4 comments:

LauraC said...

CONGRATS! That is awesome! I know what you mean... there is something about that first race where you feel so proud to be out there. I felt that feeling all over again when I race my first race with the boys... all I could think was - I am pushing 80 lbs and running at a pretty respectable pace! People were cheering like crazy.

Mountain Mom said...

Way to go, Maria! That is something to be proud of, to be sure. I have enough trouble pushing my two kids around the block (just over 1 mile) in the trailer we have. Of course, that is at 10,000ft.....and of course it doesn't have anything to do with the fact that I'm a little out of shape....LOL

Maria said...

Thanks for the comments, ladies! It was fantastic. Now, can someone help me figure out how to turn my pic? Thanks

Joanna said...

That is so great! I'm so impressed that you did it. I also think it's interesting that you found it to be such an emoitonal experience. Good for you.