Friday, August 22, 2008

Sweet Interpretations

My Grandmother is a very religious person. We are not, for no other reason than we just haven't ever been. I feel like I am a fairly spiritual person, but not religious, if that makes sense. This really is not here nor there, but it makes for a good background understanding to the story. My grandma always talks to the kids about church and tells them stories from the Bible, and talks about the people. We go to church with her when she visits, or when we visit her, and the kids like to look around the church. Allie, specifically has become extremely focused on The Blessed Mother. My Grandma gave her a crystal statue of The Blessed Mother, she has a Blessed Mother nightlight, and really likes to talk about her. When we were in church over my Grandma's last visit, Allie kept asking when The Blessed Mother was going to get there. Hey, she's three, it's kind of obscure to her. So last night, we were at a school function at Lilly's new school, and Will was pushing Allie on the swings. There were bunches of people all over the place. I was half way across the playground when he waved me over to them. He said, "Allie, tell Mommy what you see." She got really quiet and I swear her eyes were smiling and sparkling. She called me over really close to her face and said, "Look, Mommy...it's The Blessed Mother and the baby!" There was a woman wearing a long head covering, caring for a small baby. She really believed in her sweet almost-four-year-old mind that that was The Blessed Mother, right there on that very playground. I love how everything is possible for her.

2 comments:

Steph said...

Hi! I nominated you for an award- stop by sometime and pick it up! I always love the way you tell stories -- it's so real and you have a great perspective on kids. And I have to also mention that your pictures are great!

Julie said...

Great post Maria! It made me smile.