Thursday, January 22, 2009

In the car

After dropping Lilly off at school today, Will was having a conversation with Allie about crying at every teeny tiny non-thing. Seriously, I know we are all going through a tough time lately, but she will literally cry if you look at her funny. And yes, we have looked into grief counselling, but she is sort of using the sadness as an excuse for everything. And yes, I can tell when she is really upset and when she is trying to get out of something. Anyway, Will was demonstrating how it is really hard to have Allie constantly hysterical by recreating a scene this morning where Allie burst into tears when Will used a tone of voice in a joke that was undesirable to her. The tone, not the joke. So we are all discussing the example Will has provided (by fake crying and whining himself) and Maya says, "Daddy, that's enough! We hear you." and then, very quietly under her breath, she mutters, wait for it.... "asshole." Will and I lost it. It is a good thing we were at a stop light, because I was laughing so hard I was crying and could not see. Apparently she really does understand that she is not allowed to swear unless she is in her bed because she tried to hide the fact that she said asshole by saying it so quietly. Plus the fact that whenever one of us slips and swears she says adamantly, "Mommy, you no say that, you not in you bed!" So she gets it. I have not laughed so hard in a long time.

2 comments:

Beth said...

That Maya is well beyond her years! What a stitch. I love it that she uses profanity so adroitly! Too funny. Thanks for sharing!

Joanna said...

LOL. I needed that! Oh my do you have your hands full. One's supper sensitive, and the other is a wise ass.