Monday, June 2, 2008

Running and Music

I started exercising (again) mid-March. I have been very faithful about going to the gym between four and six times a week. I have lost about 35 pounds, and now I am running. I am running very slowly, but I am running. I was able to do 2 miles without stopping last week, and I have not been able to do that since before having children. I am training for a 10k in August (6.2 miles). That is a long way for me, but I know if I work really hard I will be able to accomplish it. I am having some trouble with music, though. I loaded what I thought would be great music onto my shuffle, only to find myself shuffling through the whole time I am running. I need some really good get-up-and-go music that works. I like everything as far as genre, but find myself gravitating toward more Black Eyed Peas, Fergie type music whens any I am running. if anyone has suggestions on good tunes, I would love to hear them. In the mean time, I will run on.

5 comments:

-Bridget said...

Congrats to you! That is hard work, what an awesome job you are doing!

As far as music while exercising and running, disco is my thing.

LauraC said...

I find I have to have specific songs while running. I have to listen to songs that match my tempo or else I feel like the song is too slow for my running.

Here is my current running list:
Just Fine - Mary J Blige
The Way I Are - Timbaland
SexyBack - Justin Timberlake
Whip It - Devo
Lose Control - Missy Elliott
Ain't No Other Man - Christina Aguilerra
Tambourine - Eve
Canned Heat - Jamiroquai

Whip It has pretty much been on my running list since I got my ipod in 2004 as has Canned Heat.

And good luck on your 10K, that is awesome!!

Steph said...

Wow- that's great you are running again and the 10K in August sounds wonderful! I'm not a great runner, but I do like the elliptical and I tend to listen to Justin Timberlake and Timaland while at the gym.

JenFen said...

My playlist for walking is very different than my playlist for just listening to the latest and greatest. They have to be songs that make you want to keep MOVING. It is scary that LauraC has several of the same songs that are regularly on my playlist including:

Ain't No Other Man - Christina Aguilerra
The Way I are - Timbaland
SexyBack - Justin Timberlake (as well as Summer Love and Love Stoned)

Some others for me are:

Stronger - Kayne West
Body Movin - Beastie Boys
Fat Boy Slim - Praise you
Lo Fiedelty Allstars - Battle Flag
Missy Elliot - Shake your Pom Pom
Snap - The Power

And seriously congrats on losing the weight and good luck training for your run. You go girl!

Maria said...

Thanks for all the suggestions. I will definitely be visiting itunes shortly and making many purchases!