Thursday, February 25, 2010

Would you be concerned? I am.

Let me begin by saying that I like Allie's teacher. For Allie. She was Lilly's kindergarten teacher too, and she was not a good fit for her. Mrs.T is flighty and a bit out there, which may sound like a bad thing, but Allie is sort of the same way, so they get along well. Now, Allie's class is difficult. There are a few kids who don't speak English, and a few more who have moderate behavior issues, so I know her teacher I busy, but... I sent Allie to school dressed in a short sleeved dress with a long sleeved shirt underneath and tights. When I picked her up, she was wearing her long sleeved shirt, her tights, and that was it. She. Had. No. Dress. On. No dress on. I asked her where her dress was, and she said,"in my bag, I was hot. My teacher said I could take it off". What?! Her teacher (even if she didn't say it was okay to take it off) let her walk around school in tights and a shirt. With no dress on. No dress on! Am I over reacting? I feel like I am justified in my concern, because if she doesn't see that my kid is missing a major portion of her clothing, what else is she missing? There were patterned tights, and not completely sheer, but you could definitely see striped panties underneath. Allie is 5, so I do put partial blame on her for disrobing, but come on. I sent her to school today with explicit instructions to keep her clothes on. I did give permission for sweatshirt removal, with the qualifier that the tshirt underneath stays on, no matter what.

11 comments:

LauraC said...

That is crazy!!! How can you not notice that?!

Lindsay said...

Yes, that concerns me. Is there a teacher assistant in there? Sounds like she could use a 2nd set of eyes!

JenFen said...

I would definitely be concerned but I would also want to hear the teacher's side of the story too. I know in Jake's class he has 24 kids and this is the first year she doesn't have an asst due to budget cuts. There are things I would prefer to be different but she has to make the best out of the situation, which is why I volunteer one day a week on a consistent basis. But in this situation, I feel the teacher should have realized she had taken the dress off or not given permission because she was wearing tights and not leggings (big difference!) so I would request to meet with her and find out what happened.

Joanna said...

Maybe the teacher thought they were leggings? That's about the closest I can come to justifying this. I know it's a stretch...

Maybe you could ask the teacher if you could send in a lighter outfit for her just in case she wants to cool off?

Who am I kidding, I'm way to direct for that. Maybe you could just ask her if she would insist that your daughter stayed properly clothed during the school day?

Julie said...

I don't think you are over-reacting! Its okay to walk around your house with tights and a shirt, but at school nobody should be able to see your undies! I am not sure why her teacher thought that was okay!

Karen said...

I wouldn't be happy about that either. I would definitely be asking the teacher for an explanation.

Heidi O said...

That is concerning. I would want to talk to the teacher. Maggie will get dressed that way without realizing that she isn't fully dressed. But it seems in a kindergarten class that shouldn't be happening.

Karla said...

Yikes, very concerning to me. Time to chat with the teacher.

DesiDVM said...

Um...no. I can't think of a single reason why it would be ok for a kid to walk around in public with their underwear showing, especially if that's not the way they came in the door LOL. Either the teacher is a little nutty to ok that, or she didn't realize/notice that your daughter was not really "clothed" when she took her dress off. Either way not good.

Maria said...

Thanks for the input everyone. Apparently because the classroom is so hot (because it sits over the boiler room) which I knew and therefore alway send her a change of clothes, her teacher is so used to kids asking to remove layers that she thought nothing of it. (!). I guess will just reiterate to Allie that all clothing stays on unless it gets wet or messy, then the change of outfit can come out. And maybe duct tape to hold the clothes on. She did come home today fully clothed, so maybe she was listening.

Steph said...

What? I would not be OK with that. Her teacher needs to be paying attention!