Sunday, November 2, 2008

Gearing Up for Tuesday

I am getting really excited for Tuesday. I have decided to take all of the kids to vote with me. I am aware that we will probably be in line forever, and will go well equipped with entertainment and snacks. I am feeling hopeful, like we may have a good change coming, but can't allow myself to think to far ahead for fear of jinxing something. I keep explaining election day to the girls and telling them why it is so important for everyone to vote. I am also telling them about how historic this election will be no matter which side comes out on top. I know who I think will provide my children with a better, more safe, stable future and they know too. I know for sure that I am proud that this voter turn out is likely going to be the biggest in history. I am proud that so many young people have gotten involved. I am proud that my girls want to go to the polls with me to see what it is all about. I am proud that Maya recognizes and yells out, "Barack Obama!" whenever she sees him in pictures or on television. I am making shirts for all of us to wear Tuesday with this quote on the back;

“…But in the unlikely story that is
America
There has never been anything false about
Hope.
For when we have faced down impossible odds,
When we've been told that
We’re not ready, or that
We shouldn't try, or
That we can’t,
Generations of Americans
Have responded
With a simple creed
That sums up the spirit of a people.
Yes we can.”
-Barack Obama

No comments: