Sunday, May 11, 2008

Mother's Day 5k



Today is Mother's Day. My mom and I decided to do the 5k in our town. Notice I said "do" not run? Just some background on us...We don't do this. We have never run, we did not decide to do this until yesterday. Needless to say, we weren't prepared, so we decided to walk instead of run. My Dad runs, and came along for support and maybe a bit of comic relief. We decided to start a tradition of doing this race every mother's day instead of going out to eat somewhere. I started running about two months ago for a race in August, and a lifestyle change. My mom started walking a few weeks ago. We took all three girls in two jogging strollers. We were slow, we had fun, and my mom, we found out, needs new shoes. They started killing her about a mile into it. We have to get her some good shoes with the consultation of someone knowledgeable. This will happen hopefully tomorrow. It was quite an experience to see the sea of runners spread out in front of us, like a beautiful quilt blowing in the breeze. We let the kids out to walk a few times, and of course had an injury, Allie fell and skinned her knee. I was prepared and got out the Care Bear band aids and she was happy, but insisted I carry her on my shoulders the rest of the way. When we came to the finish line, it was to many people clapping and cheering who had waited for the last finishers. Thank You to them. My finish line picture will be of me, pushing an empty double jogging stroller, with a three year old on my shoulders. It was a super happy moment, and we can only get faster and healthier next year. Thanks Mom, I Love You.

2 comments:

bb said...

It looks like you are having a wonderful Mother's Day, and I love the idea of doing the 5k rather than dinner. Food for thought when I get to celebrate Mother's Day for myself.

Your girls are lovely, by the way!

Kaycee said...

How fun! That's great that you and your mom did that together..w/ the girls :)