Thursday, May 22, 2008

The Trials of Cake Making

So, as I mentioned in an earlier post, I get sort of crazy around birthday time. It's not the parties, or gifts, but it's on the cake that I go a bit overboard. I began Maya's cake today for the party, and the first cake, two twelve inch round cakes, did not do so well. I got antsy and did not allow enough cooling time and the middles fell out when I flipped them. Eight eggs, two cups of sugar, two cups of flour, one cup of cocoa powder, nearly a pound of butter (a nice light cake)...in the garbage. Well not actually in the garbage, some went into hungry bellies, and some went into the freezer for a trifle at a later date. I began again, this time with half the recipe for two eight inch cakes and all went well. I then moved on to the twelve inchers again, they came out beautifully, thanks to my sister in law, who recommended I line the pans with parchment paper. This is going to be a HUGE cake, and we're not even expecting that many people. Tonight I have to make the ganache, assemble the cake and then cover it in fondant. I have never worked with fondant before, so I hope it's not too hard. I'm not sure why I create such work for myself, but I do find it fun. I am hopeful that it will turn out well, as I have it pictured. I'll keep you posted.

No comments: